As soon as the wonderful garden tomatoes started coming into the house, I knew this day would come. Every year I wait, ready with the towel to start swatting. Those darn fruit flies make me look like a lunatic in the kitchen. Standing by the sink, towel in hand, swatting at invisible specks on the cabinets. And then they start to multiply, and I just can’t swat them away anymore.
So what to do? I did this last year and it worked beautifully. Almost time to get it out again. So, if you find your kitchen a haven for fruit flies, gather these few supplies.
- apple vinegar
- liquid dish detergent
- plastic wrap
- small bowl
- rubber band
- Pour a little cider vinegar into a small bowl
- Add just a drop of liquid dish detergent (something to do with breaking the surface tension, trapping the bugs)
- Cover with a piece of plastic wrap and fasten to dish with a rubber band.
- Cut a few slits in the plastic wrap so the flies can crawl in.
- They can crawl in, but can’t get out!